Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Where was I?




I sometimes dream I’ve forgotten
to feed the horses
all these years
they’re still waiting
wasting away in the barn
skin on bones
because of me

I sometimes dream I’ve forgotten
my children
they’re still waiting
to be picked up from school
or hiding under the bed
hoping I’ll find them
after all these years

I sometimes dream I’ve forgotten
a patient
and now it’s too late
I’m afraid
to go in the room at the end of the hall
afraid I’ll find Gabriel
holding the body in his strong angel arms
sheet and blanket in a tangle
IV tube dangling
Where were you, written
all over his shining
angel face

lsc 5/13/09

5 comments:

Bingopajama said...

Haunting.

DJan said...

I know that dream. I've had it myself, except the nursing part is usually replaced with missing my parachute when I go to pull.

Linda Collison said...

Thanks, Bingopj. It feels haunting. And DJan, your missing parachute is really a bad one. When I was a skydiver I often dreamed of a slow malfunction, but I was never actually missing the parachute! Of course we're all just seconds from death, on a geologic or astronomic time scale. How's that to brighten your day?

Anonymous said...

My gift: My mother, loving, insightful,stong, supportive all this and a poet extraordinaire....

greenartists said...

Wow! while we are sharing "dreams" I've had the kids one. I would often dream I forgot to pick them up at daycare. Strange thing is...They are all over 18 years old now!