Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Desire





See the pretty things in the window
I want them
Why?

In my younger days I wasn’t so materialistic
I was raw
ripening, rich in future, decorated in my own aplomb

My naked body was a perfect
idiot savant
beautiful in its awkwardness
as youthful bodies are
I needed no adornment
and my soul, that shining globe, filled me with light

More and more these days I find myself
window shopping
desiring
all those pretty things that dissolve in your hands
when the dream ends

My future shrinks as do my bones
I look for souvenirs of splendor
I’m becoming the Old Woman wandering the streets with her rusty shopping cart
looking for treasure

I realize the futility, the irony
of want
I know each breath I draw
sustains me
I’m rich beyond my wildest dreams
and spending time lavishly

Still, I look
Still, I desire
The pretty things in the window are other possibilities
Other lives I might have known

lsc 5/5/09

2 comments:

Stella Jones said...

Oh, I so agree. Now, in my middle age, I find myself wanting very high red heels and floaty dresses. When I was the age to wear them, I wanted blue jeans and shapeless T shirts. What's going on here? Am I going full circle, (giggling) ?
Blessings, Star

DJan said...

"all those pretty things that dissolve in your hands
when the dream ends"

Now that is an inspired image, and could have come from my last night's dream. In my dreams I am young and beautiful, desired as it is due me. In my dreams.

Life comes full circle, and you have captured that circle of desire as beautifully as any poet laureate could have written it.

Thank you. What a nice anniversary present!