Sunday, May 31, 2009

My secret pleasure...





There are other activities I enjoy doing in bed, but one of my favorite indulgences is being served my first fragrant cup of coffee by my loving husband while I'm still under the sheets, and staying there in my rumpled nest for as long as I desire, surrounded by a stack of books, and my computer. Reading, writing, reading until the pot of coffee is finished.

Growing old has its advantages; this is a pleasure I never knew during the child-rearing decades. And because I worked nights, mornings were for sleeping, not reading!

I’m usually reading half-a-dozen books or so, at more or less the same time. Very fickle that way. Right now I’m absorbed in an exhibition book I purchased in Bruges after visiting Charles the Bold and the “Booty of Burgundy” exhibit at the Groeninge Museum. Charles the Bold was Duke of Burgundy during the duchy’s hey-day in the mid-1400’s. This was a real renaissance festival and I'm lovin' it!

Also reading Tulipomania, by Mike Dash, which transports me to Holland in the mid 1600’s.

And Vincent Van Gogh’s letters, written in the 1880’s.

Also in the stack is a French book Bob got me, and a Western Civililization textbook for an online course I'm taking this summer.

Books are my time machine. So are paintings. I’m working on a time-travel story, and finishing up a ghost story.

Life is full and wide and we don’t know the half of it.

3 comments:

DJan said...

You are right: we are connected somehow we don't exactly know yet. I am reading (after having just finished Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg), Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver, Out Stealing Horses (Per Petterson), Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad, Madeline L'Engle's Certain Women, and On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks.

I drink tea in the morning (before my coffee habit at the coffee shop) but it is not brought to me by my loving husband, because he is snoring softly beside me while I read the papers online, check Facebook, and answer emails.

And yes you ARE my sister!

Andrea said...

Ah, that looks cozy. I love to read 4 or 5 books at one time. That way there's always something to read when my mood changes!

Nancy said...

You and I are of the same mind - I love getting up and moving to my favorite chair by the window in my bedroom with my coffee delivered by my husband, to read, read, read.