Sunday, March 22, 2009

House a-fire

In my dream I see a woman
a younger woman than I
standing in the doorway
of a burning house

Her arms are filled with things she wants to save
shoe boxes stuffed with treasured photographs, grocery lists
plastic bags bulging with outgrown mittens
mismatched socks

From her arms a Raggedy Ann with red yarn hair
dangles by one leg
the other long missing
a casualty of war

The woman has only to cross the threshold to freedom
Just a few flaming steps
But she can’t fit through the door
She’s carrying too much
All those heavy old dreams and expectations
she’s trying to save

I call her name and she looks out hopefully
to the sound, the light
the gardens and the green fields
to the wide blue sky beyond the fire

She knows my voice
but I don't think she can see for the smoke
I’m afraid if she hesitates much longer
the burning lintel will crash down upon her

lsc/2009

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow mom. i hadn't read this till just now. all mine. all me. all gone. but free. wow mom.