Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Have words, will travel...

I'm thinking about going back to work, part time. Not as a nurse, I don't think times is that hard and I've always said you should go forward, not backward. There has got to be some way to use my hodgepodge of skills (giving shots, plotting, starting IVs, developing believable characters, suctioning secretions, varying sentence structure)to bring in a more reliable paycheck than the royalty statement is currently providing.

Browsing through the help wanted in Routt County's Daily newspaper I'm getting some ideas: Wanted:

"Cowboy wanted; Steamboat/Dinosaur area. Fence and watch cattle."

"Open Range Calver... to perform duties principally on open range, attending to cows during calving season; observe cows health to determine delivery time; able to recognize birthing problems; assist calves with nursing...prevent cattle from eating poisonous plants, protect from predatory animals and theft..."
"Sheepherder with 3 months experience" Attends sheep grazing on range or pasture. Herds sheep using trained dogs. Guards flock from predators and from eating poisonous plants..."

Hey, I could be like Anne Proulx! I could do this job, then write a story about it. Then my agent lands me a sweet movie deal and they turn my story into a movie like Brokeback Mountain!

Here's another one, sparse on details. "Weed Supervisor, Routt County." Weed supervisor??? Hmmmmmm....Interesting. Maybe while working this job I could write the sequel to Pineapple Express...

Oh! oh! Here it is, pick me! Pick me! Steamboat TV 18 needs a Morning Show Host to do our live morning show. "Enthusiastic, engaging, mature candidates that can conduct informative interviews need apply." That's me! Enthusiastic, yes! Engaging, uh huh! Mature? Yeah, baby! This so appeals to the Leo in me...

Ah, but the hours suck. I am not a morning person. I remember when Bob and I were on the world record attempt for the most people to jump out of a hot air balloon at one time record, which we achieved, and which if I were to apply for this morning talk show host job I would cite as part of my experience in the field of entertainment, since CNN did come to film us but because of weather we had to postpone the jump, and they were booked the day we did the re-jump. (Yes, I know that's a run-on sentence in the first degree, but this is a blog and I love the freedom of stream-of-consciouness writing!)

I found out during that world record breaking adventure why I am not into hot air ballooning. You have to get out of bed while its still dark. (All those years as a nurse, I mostly worked nights...)

OK, OK, I'll keep writing. Maybe the next novel will be a best-seller. Back to chapter four of Blue Milieu.

Or maybe I should take that cowboy job and write one called Greener Pastures...

1 comment:

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

What a fantastic blog you have going here Star-Crossed!!
I followed you over from DJan's blog. I hope that is okay??
If you have a little time that you don't mind ever getting back, please visit me at my blog and say hello.
I wonder if there're hiring cowgirls? I always wanted to be a cowgirl, lol.
Take good care and.....

Steady On
Reggie Girl