Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Dad


Harry Mansfield Collison, Jr. 1921-1975

Harry was a father to three lucky girls, husband to one wife, brother to one surviving sister, Clara ("Suze") Collison Leister. World War II Veteran, Mechanical engineer, country gentleman and weekend farmer. He was "Uncle Harry" to lots of nieces and nephews. He was a patient man with a sense of humor and a love of the simple pleasures of life. He could draw, ride a horse, play tennis, fix broken things, charm the ladies, and whistle the Tennessee Waltz. And lots of other things I never even knew.

My dad died at the age of 54. During the time I knew him he taught me this: Be glad for what you have and don't fret over what you don't have. Be a leader, not a follower. Do your best. Be kind and generous, whenever possible. Read a good book and tell a good story. Look for the adventure in life. Enjoy each day. If you can't enjoy it, get through it.

I miss my Dad, but he has become a part of me.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

He sounds like a wise and wonderful Dad.

I miss my Dad, too.

DJan said...

You are very fortunate to have such wonderful memories of your dad. When I think about mine, mostly I remember my mother telling me about his "feet of clay." But Daddy was filled with goodness and he also has become part of me. Thanks for reminding me.

Historical sites with charmine said...

You are fortunate to have had such a wise & loving dad.I love your dad's advice,i'll try to follow it...makes good sense to me.

Rick said...

Yes ...... he was my Uncle Harry ...... fond memories too! He was a great tennis player ... enjoyed our time on the courts.