Thursday, September 26, 2013

Redfeather nearly ready to roll

It might be your grandfather's car -- but it's not your grandfather's road trip.

I just received the proof copy of Looking for Redfeather.  One correction necessary -- the title page -- and it will be good to go! 

It's been a long haul!  I wrote the first draft of Looking for Redfeather during National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), 2007.  Every year, during the month of November, writers all over the world pledge to write a 50,000 word novel in thirty days.  It's a fast-paced process, ugly in spots, but it gets done.   

I had a hell of a ride with these runaway teens in a stolen (actually, borrowed without permission) Cadillac Eldorado, and when I was done I let the manuscript rest for several years before having another look.

Wow! Rereading it, I found I really liked these three teens and I wanted to bring their story to life.  It's taken me about three years to revise the novel.      

I landed an agent who also believed in the book - but he wasn't able to place it.  Most of the editors of the major houses replied with something like, "Loved the characters and the voice -- just have to take a pass."  Or, "Great voice and quirky characters, but we just published a road trip story."  Or, "Excellent writing, but where's the depraved sex?"  (Just kidding -- I made that one up!)

I created my own imprint Fiction House, Ltd. and published Looking for Redfeather, hiring Create Space for comprehensive editing services, interior design, printing and distribution.  It's been a real learning process, the publishing process!

At Fiction House, Ltd we're almost ready to roll with Looking for Redfeather, so keep your eyes peeled for a champagne-colored Cadillac crusing with three runaway teens.

ISBN  0989365301
ISBN 13 trade paperback  978-0-9893653-0-7

Soon to be available from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Indie bookstores too.  Available in electronic format NOW on Smashwords!

  

No comments: